Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's weird, but I like learning


You read that right. When the right subject comes along I suppose you just...enjoy it. This morning we started our Layers of Rome course, starting at Tiber Island (which is about a 7 min tram ride from my apartment...that's a good thing). Remember the asshole Professor? He's much more tolerable when explaining the origins of the Basilica de San Bartolomeo. It used to be the Temple of Aesculapius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. He carries a staff with a snake coiled around it and supposedly visited the island in the form of a serpent (hence the symbol for medicine being the serpent and staff). Interesting stuff right? There is also a hospital on the island now. I hope I never have to take a tour of that facility. As interesting as the tour was, it was hard to stay awake listening to the professor's british accent. He sounded a lot like a book on tape.

The picture above was taken inside the Basilica. It was constructed in the late 900's over the old temple of Aesculapius and was used as both a church and a forum. The picture on the left is of the outside of the building, as well as the pigeons taking refuge from the rain that day. There were a lot of pigeons. I used to chase pigeons. I miss chasing pigeons. Enough about pigeons.




No crazy excursions today so this one will stay short. Us guys are making Ravioli con Carne e Ricotta e...Spinach. Yum in my tum. Then it's Morgan's birthday tonight (a girl on the trip) and no class tomorrow. The perfect equation for a wonderful night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment