That means 'hello everyone' in Italian. Cool right? Last night started off with the 6 guys on our trip navigating our way around the streets of Rome blindly looking for what was supposed to be the best pizza we would have in Italy. 45 minutes and 4 alleys later we finally found it, and it didn't disappoint. It was an actual Italian pizzeria. We discovered this because not one waiter knew English. I had my first experience with a severe language barrier. Ordering was simple enough, I just pointed to the menu and hoped the pizza I ordered would be edible (as I am still adjusting to not being excessively picky). I ordered a Parmigiana pizza (mozzarella, parmesan, and eggplant) and, as you probably assumed, I ate the whole thing swiftly. I wish I'd brought my camera to show it off, but I guess it'll just have to stay my little secret.
Our next adventure began when our whole group reconvened for what would become an absolutely ridiculous night out. The club we went to was called "Gilda" which we later found out is where all of the celebrities go when they're in Rome. That was probably why the cover was 20 euro (35 dollars for those who are counting). Our jaws dropped as i'm sure yours just did, but alas it was night 2 so we all paid. Drinks were also 20 euro, which we did not pay for. We had some judgement skills left. The bar was gorgeous, the cross dressers and drag queens were not. About 20 creepy Italians later, we all left the bar after yours truly got kicked out (not for being unruly, but trying to de-escalate a situation). We all took cabs home and enjoyed a final glass (bottle) of wine before bed. I need to learn how to not log in to Facebook after nights like this (see status).
Waking up today was a bit of a challenge, but I supposed that's something to get used to. Apparently every Sunday there is a huge market, one of the most famous in Rome, set up right outside our apartment. Anything you could ever want they had. We met up with a group of Italian students who would serve as our guides for the day as we were challenged to see who among us could cook the best Italian food for our new Italian compatriots. It turned out to be the Italians, who ended up cooking for us instead. Still, it was a lovely experience and we made some new friends. I am exhausted and now it is nap time. We're all going to a pub later to watch the Bears game, and then some karaoke. Thankfully it's during waking hours, and hopefully I don't embarrass myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment