Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Another long day, another long night

Remember when I said we'd watch Zoolander? That never ended up happening. We decided that an early night was overdue...instead a bunch of the group came to our apartment and left around 2am. Tuesday morning came and we met our 'Layers of Rome' teacher. He's british and either has the driest sense of humor i've ever heard or is an asshole. As of now it's leaning toward the latter. The class consists of meeting on-site at various locations around Rome and learning about the history of various time periods associated with wherever we are that day. He demands that we always be promptly on time, but I think he's forgetting two key things.

  1. We are college students and waking up is hard sometimes (I know, cry me a river)
  2. We have no idea where any of these places are yet
Regardless, I'm still very excited to start touring Rome for a grade. Next we had Italian Language, which was a lot more fun. Our teacher is very enthusiastic yet refuses to speak a single word of English. She can, and very well I might add, but won't cut us any slack by using it. She's a remarkably effective teacher considering I can't understand 90% of what she says.

After class, five of us decided that it was time to get pillows that we didn't need to fold into quarters to enjoy mildly. So we set off on what we were told would be a quick and fairly straight walk...By the time we realized that we couldn't walk through Castel Sant'Angelo it proved to be quite the opposite of quick and fairly straight.

Way we were told we could go

Way we ended up going

That pretty much sums up the afternoon. Two and a half hours later we returned home with brand new pillows eager to be broken in; however, we had a long night planned ahead so the inaugural slumber would have to wait until much later. Tired and beaten, we went to the supermarket and made the executive decision to go American for dinner: A sandwich. Not a panini. A sandwich. We bought some deli meat and processed cheese, slapped it together, and nourished ourselves. I won't go into detail (as I can barely remember), but the rest of the night involved me and a nice chianti (cue that weird thing Anthony Hopkins does) getting to know each other quite well. 

Yesterday finished introducing the culture part of my trip. Today began the food portion (get it, food portion). Our professor writes for one of the top news journals in Italy in the Food and Wine section. We will be learning all about Italian food industry as well as traditions and stylings of Italian cuisine. The wine seminars start in February. That's all for now. I'm gonna keep testing out my new pillow. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment