Saturday, February 5, 2011

The other side of Rome

So not much new has been going on here. I've had a bunch of school and and learning quite a bit about the history of Italian food and the culture it is apart of and creates. I had six hours of lecture on it in two days! I don't know if I've digested all of it (no pun intended, although I have to admit that is quite funny) but we have a test already next week so wish me luck.

This weekend everyone went to Florence to explore...except me. And a few others. I woke up late today as opposed to the 4am everyone else did to catch the train. I met up with the other couple of us who stayed back to save a bit of euro and went walking around Rome, looking for an intracity tour type deal. We ended up at the Spanish Steps where I had never been and had a delightful panini. We decided to walk a little deeper into Rome than any of us had until this point, and explore the Villa Borghese Gardens. None of us knew what to expect, but it turned into quite an adventure and a place I will definitely return to again.

The part of the Villa Borghese Gardens that we explored was essentially a large park district within the confines of Rome that borders its center and takes up a good amount of space. When you walk into it, you almost forget you're in Rome. Surrounded by trees, park benches, and nearly all native Romans on this 60 degree sunny afternoon, we felt for the first time that we were truly inhabitants of the city. There was a rollerblade demo going on with young Romans doing various tricks, giant balloon play structures, and open grass where we found the youth of Rome playing and enjoying a lovely weekend with friends. It was certainly a sight to behold as we absorb Roman tranquility for the first time. The Gardens are elevated so we could see the horizon of the whole city as the sun set behind it. It was truly awe-inspiring as the cool breeze rushed past us (certainly not as brisk as the subzero breezes at home though. Jealous...maybe). I'm off to a highly reputable restaurant in Trastevere that will hopefully be a place of future dining experiences, and then off to a jazz club. Maybe this is turning into a little Roman vacation after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment