The above refers to today's happenings; however, let's cover yesterday briefly as well. Our Layers of Rome class led me to the Basilico di San Clemente, a 13th century church that is built upon the ruins of a 6th century church, which in turn is built upon the roads of ancient Rome. As we entered the church, a gypsy tried to take something out of a girl's bag...quite a scary moment for all of us, but we got past her harm free. The atrium of the church surrounded a natural spring that spurted up from a moderately lackluster fountain-pipe thing. We then walked into the church, and found it looked like many of Rome's multitude of church, with the exception of the staircase leading to a centuries-old excavation site where the old church used to stand. It was fascinating walking through the hallways and chambers buried underground, as well as seeing the frescos and other lasting decorations of the time. After we left the church, I ate my unsatisfying turkey wrap I made that morning and proceded to buy a roll from a premier bakery in Rome. Yummy.I'm excited now about my trip this upcoming weekend to the gorgeous city of Siena and neighboring it, the purportedly equally beautiful San Gimignano...and to drink Chianti in its region of origin (properly). I anticipate it being a blast and a half.
No comments:
Post a Comment