Whew. What a week. Although I've certainly had the time to post, I definitely have not had the energy. Enough with the small talk on my end, let's get into the good stuff.

Tuesday I went with my class to the National Museum of Rome where remnants of ancient Roman villas have been put on display after being dug up. Both fragments of beautiful mosaics and whole panels decorated the walls of the museum. These frescos, or paintings on hardened plaster typically covered the inside of many homes of ancient Rome's emperors and senators. I found myself taking my second trip to McDonalds abroad, which was extremely satisfying and to be a little more technical, yummy. We later met our Italian companion students, who we are working with on a project about bruschetta (i think). We are going to the market with them this week to get shown around parts of Rome that tourists/abroad students don't usually see, so I can't wait for that.
Wednesday took me on an adventure around to places of Rome I had never seen before. I decided that I could no longer go on after seeing the Villa Borghese Gardens without having a frisbee to throw around when it gets really nice out. I found out to my dismay that the closest place that sold frisbees in Rome was two buses and an hour away in a mall called Porta di Roma. Needless to say, as I'm telling you this story, I made the trek (well, ride) out. It turned out to be a really nice, Northbrook Courtesque mall; however, as I went in between classes I had no time to dilly...or dally for that matter. I found what I believe to be the only frisbee in Rome and a basketball for a friend, and wasted no time. Another hour and another two buses later I found myself on time for class by minutes. I wasted no time in getting my money's worth, as right after class I found myself playing catch as opposed to buying unnecessary food for the first time.
Thursday nothing happened. Nothing.

Friday something amazing happened. Matthew Miotti arrived in Rome and spent the weekend here. We met him and and my roommates friends Ben and Jacob at the Pantheon and spent the afternoon walking them around the city, and Matt and I picked up tickets to the Rome vs. Naples (Roma-Napoli) soccer match. That night we went out to dinner with Jeff (our friend from home whose living across the street from me). I got Gnocchi Ragu and went to heaven. We spent the night back in Testaccio and had a great time at a club called "Akab" where they had Rock Night and played a fantastic selection of classic and modern rock music.

Saturday I showed Miotti around the center of Rome and went into the Colosseum again. We read up on the some more of its history and spent a lot of time just hanging out there after running into a few of his trip mates. Afterward we went to an AS Roma store and each bought an official Roma scarf. It's definitely going up on the wall of my room next year. We got home fairly early in order to get ready for the soccer game and after a few drinks we left for Olympic Stadium. The Roma side of the stadium was packed with fans who weren't quiet for one second of the match. The atmosphere is totally different, as no matter how far back you sat, fans were still unruly...the back row were kicking the backs of the stadium and the security were fairy supportive. As fun as the game was, Roma ended up losing 0-2 so that was a downer; however, we wouldn't let it get us too down. We followed up the game with an adventure to a bar called Brasserie 420, where they had a selection of over a hundred different types of imported beer. They also had an amazing rooftop where they grilled food and had picnic tables filled with Italian socialites. It was a really fun time, especially since they played Queen all night.

Sunday (woo made it!) we went to the Vatican City and walked around St. Peter's Basilica. It was equally as massive as it was when i went a month ago (I can't believe it's already been a month!) While they walked to the top, my roommates and I started on our venture to the international food store, only to find out that it was closed on Sundays. Poop. We went home dejected and I proceded to watch an episode of Smallville to get over it. When everyone else finally got home we went out to a final dinner to this wonderfully, simultaneously cheap and delicious restaurant called Casetta di Trastevere where I got an awesome and surprisingly rare Minestrone soup, as well as some bruschetta and lasagna. It was the perfect end to a perfect week.
As the title explains, sorry it took so long. Now everything is back in order and I should post more regularly. Hopefully things stay interesting around these parts, but I suppose that is up to me, ain't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment