Friday, February 18, 2011

Markets and m...vineyards

I was going for alliteration, but alas there are no synonyms for vineyard that start with an 'm'. We met up with our Italian counterparts yesterday morning to go to an area of Rome that Americans generally never go to called Trionfale Market. It was just a simple market, but it was quite large in size and there was not an American in sight. It was very daunting observing a true Italian marketplace experience. There was typical stands there for fruits and vegetables, along with an extensive and rank-smelling seafood sections (with no less than 6 severed swordfish heads...awesome) and meat stands. 


The meat stands had meats hanging from the ceiling as well as 'fresh options' (the squeamish should not look at the picture you've inevitably already looked at to the right). Our Roman compatriots told us that we couldn't leave the market without trying something. This something was Pizza Bianca (Pizza dough cut through the middle glazed with olive oil) with Mortadella (Italian sausage cold cut) sandwiched between it. They called it "Le Morte Sua" which translates to "It's own death"; however, in Italian its a phrase used to describe the best food you could have. They weren't kidding around as it was one of the best Italian snacks I've had since I've been here.


Today out whole program went on an excursion to a vineyard on the outskirts of Lazio, the region Rome is in, in a place called Umbria. The vineyard is named "Castello delle Regine" (Castle of the Queens) and with 10000 acres in its possession is one of the biggest vineyards in the area. We toured the vineyards themselves, although we are out of season so the plants themselves were bare. We continued on to the rows and rows of vats that they store and ferment the ten different kinds of wines produced in the vineyard. Finally we found ourselves in a classy downstairs hall where we found the cellar in which is housed the finest wines that Castello delle Regine produces. We had a taste test, trying to identify the differences between Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sangiovese...I wasn't that successful. The more I practice though, the better I'll get (I promise to practice a lot).



We ended our trip with a luncheon at the vineyards country house, where we had a real wine tasting: Two Poggio delle Regine, one red and one white. We also had a red wine from 2002 (almost 10 years old if you weren't already doing the math). Both Poggio delle Regine were delicious, while 2002 was a bit strong and mineral tasting for me. We enjoyed a delightful apertivo (take a guess) and penne 
arrabbiata. I proceded to slip into a food coma and fall pleasantly asleep on the bus ride home.

I'm leaving for Siena, San Gimignano, and Pisa tomorrow morning at 630am...good thing I took that nap. Next update to come after my (hopefully) fantastic journey. Ciao!   

No comments:

Post a Comment