The next day we travelled to a little town called Piope to visit...another buffalo farm. Here we got to try their fresh (just made) mozzarella di bufala and pudding and like the first farm, it was spectacular. My expectation for food quality has increased drastically, so America better be able to keep up. We then visited an aquarium for an hour...which was actually just a room with fishtanks in it. It was cool for 5 minutes, but once you've been to the Shedd, it's hard to compete. Communicating with a small-town Italian butcher was near impossible, but eventually we found ourselves with a lunch: Cold cut sandwich with fresh EVERYTHING.
We then travelled to the ancient city of Paestum, where the ruins of ancient greek temples still stand from roughly 400 B.C. as some of the oldest in Italy. It was unbelievable to see; however, the two hour tour like the aquarium tour was unnecessary and quite lengthy. A nap followed our trip to the ancient city and when I awoke, I found myself at another pizzeria (#4). This was a pizza factory where they made tons of different pizzas, and our group was given a slice of each of around 6 pizzas, including a nutella and peanut pizza for dessert. When we got back, we decided to show Eboli how America does a Saturday night...Eboli will probably never recover from the debauchery (Just kidding...they'll be fine in a few weeks).
Sunday we travelled to the coastal town of Salerno. It had been fairly cloudy all weekend, but the sun came through for us and after yet another "educational tour" to the botanical gardens of Salerno (which looked a lot like my backyard but with a great view) we spent some free time down on the beach. I couldn't have pictures a better way to relax. We had our last meal of the trip at a restaurant called Trinon where we enjoyed a nice pizza (#5). This was different, as it was the best pizza I have ever had. It was called Pizza Forte, and was made with spicy salami, grilled peppers, garlic, basil, and parsly. It wasn't too complex, but the quality of the ingredients made it utterly drool-worthy. The pizza itself was bigger than the plate it was served on, but nonetheless I ate the whole thing. It put me in a food coma that served the 4 hour bus ride back well as the perfect sleep aid.
I cannot express in words how badly I want to go back to Southern Italy sometime in my life, but I tried really hard just now...I may have something other than pizza next time

No comments:
Post a Comment