Thursday, March 3, 2011

Paris: I owe my feet an apology

To those who have been patiently awaiting this post...sorry. I met my first week of actual work here so its been a bit difficult to sit down and write this out.

Me and my travelling companions arrived in Paris at 9 in the morning, and didn't spare any time...except getting to my living quarters. My hotel was located in the area near Bastille (that place that was stormed that one time). After getting situated, we took a walk down the side of the Seine, the main river in France. It was cloudy, but it felt eerily comforting. We stopped to look at Notre Dame, the church where Quasimodo and Esmerelda fell in love (says folklore and Disney). We took a walking tour of Notre Dame and learned some interesting things, like the vain architect who renovated it in the 1800's added his own sculpture to those of the kings of France. We also ventured into the heart of medieval France, where the inspiration for Sweeney Todd took place. We continued our long walk along the river until our collective hunger got the best of us and we stopped for some baguettes. A French baguette is nothing to be fooling around with, nor did we. They were gone as fast as they were purchased.

After walking quite a distance we came upon the Eiffel Tower. What's that you ask? Its a big tower that really serves no purpose other than generating revenue; however, it served as a base for scientific research once upon a time. We decided to save going up it for a nicer day, but remained near it through the sunset. The tower began to light up, glow and flicker. I was certainly taken aback by the beauty...until I recalled how far we had to walk back. I learned about the extremely convenient metro the next day.


I woke up the next day and took the aforementioned "1" line to the Lourve...its this museum don't worry if you've never heard of it its quite small actually. After entering my first pyramidal structure ever I found myself in the depths of the museum. I saw the Egyptian exhibits, ancient Roman statues, Napoleon apartments...I don't think I can let it escape that I did not see the Mona Lisa. To be fair I was forewarned it was highly unimpressive and having seen "The Da Vinci Code" I figured I could do without and just go to exhibits that I found interesting. After 3 hours and shin splints, I met up with the group for a bit to eat inside the museum. I then left to find my friends who are currently studying abroad in Paris. Torey took Miotti (who was fortunately also visiting) and I out for crepes....mmmmm....crepes. Miotti and I then ventured to the Centre Pompidou, Paris' modern art museum. It may have been my favorite place in Paris. The art was so engaging and right up my alley culturally, I felt very connected to the ideals and movements explored through the works of art I was examining. Also the building itself was an art piece, looking as if the structure was flipped inside-out.


I had a bit of a repeat of day one on Sunday, except for the croissant I started my day out with. It was amazing. I met the group who hadn't yet seen Notre Dame there, yet this time I explored the inside of it during mass. It was an unexpected feeling being there experiencing the traditions of another religion with people from all across the world. We then went back to the Eiffel Tower, this time going up it. I made it to the 2nd floor, but decided to save the top for the next time I come to Paris (now I have to, right?) Plus, the line to the top was an hour long. Some of us decided we'd rather continue to sight see. We found the Arc de Triumph, which although modeled from ancient Roman arches was much larger and more grandiose. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it and comparing it with the arches I'm learning about in my classes here.

Our last excursion through Paris consisted from a search for the purported best falafel in Europe.  We found ourselves at Las Du Falafel, where I in fact did have some of the best falafel I've ever had (sorry Pita Inn but its gonna be close). After that hefty snack we joined back up with everybody for a final French meal at a traditional cafe. I had a french onion soup (its not called french here) and an omelette...it was economical. Exhausted I went to bed pretty early Sunday night so that I could be up by 430am to catch my flight home Monday at 8am. Made it just in time for class too. I am a baller (someone who is good at things for those reading this who are slang-challenged).

No comments:

Post a Comment